Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

First Mate's Log: Tomorrow will be a good day


Tomorrow we reach port, and it can’t come soon enough.  This trip has been particularly difficult for the crew as we’ve stopped for repairs twice, and even then we patch the poor girl back together with the broken remains of empty barrels and twine left over from the chicken cages of last summer’s most unfortunate cargo.  Captain says that he’s not leaving the ruddy dock until he has a carpenter in his employ.  I do hope we find a suitable man for the job, but I know Captain Penn will not be able to resist the siren call of the sea for long.  We’ll be back on the water within a week, carpenter aboard or no.  

Tomorrow marks the end of the trial period for our cabin boy, Barney.  I believe the Captain will keep him on: he works hard and obeys quickly.  The dear boy is never cross or insubordinate, though he never seems far away whenever trouble arises.  Mr. Durkus is teaching the boy to read and write, bless them both.  I wonder if perhaps no education at all would be preferable.

That reminds me.  Tomorrow I must purchase a new book.  I simply can’t bring myself to read The Iliad one more time.

R. Dawson

1 comment:

What have ye ta say ta the crew?